WILLS for PICKERING of Cheshire
The following are links to excerpts and full transcriptions of our Pickering family and possible related family members that might not yet be proven. This is a compilation of research notes and the conclusions I make may not be accurate. Please use these notes for further research.
1725 Aug 6 — JOHN HARRISON of Barbados
1837 Nov 3 — MARY PICKERING admon Lydia Pickering **
1885 — ELLEN PICKERING (wife of John Rigby Pickering)
|1570 Sep 10||HUGH PICKERING||Warkworth|
|1687||JOHN PICKERING||of Gorstage, Weaverham|
|1687 May||JOHN PICKERING||of Frodsham|
|1711||SAMUEL PICKERING||Aston by Sutton|
|1725 Aug 6||JOHN HARRISON||Barbados|
|1740 Jan 3||WILLIAM PICKERING||Cuddington|
|1790 April 21||JOHN PICKERING||the Elder of Norley|
|1811||SAMUEL PICKERING||Sutton Mills|
|1813||THOMAS PICKERING||of Great Sutton|
|1815 May||JOHN PICKERING||Bond of Administration|
|1815 Jun||JOHN PICKERING (age 71)||of Norley abt. 1744|
|1820||MARGARET HORRABIN PICKERING||WIFE OF Thomas (165-1814)|
|1837 Nov 3||MARY PICKERING||admon Lydia Pickering|
|1853||CHARLES WALKER||of Chester, Gentleman|
|1857||ANN PICKERING||of Frodsham (Saltworks)|
|1881||CHARLES W. H. PICKERING||Wallasey|
|1885||ELLEN PICKERING||Wife of John Rigby Pickering|
NOTES from Last Wills and Testaments
• JOHN PICKERING | b. abt. 1660 – d. before 1711 | John was mentioned in the Will of his father, John of Gorstage (1630-1688) dated March 19, 1687. He was not mentioned in the Will of his brother, Samuel Pickering of Aston, Cheshire, dated June 13, 1711. So it is possible that he died before then. From the Cheshire Marriage Act Book, there is an entry: “May Decimo Quarto 1690 Johem Pickering de Weverham et Mariam Adshead de Runcorn.”
• JOSEPH PICKERING of Gorstage | dates unknown | Joseph was born in Gorstich (Gorstage), Weaverham parish, Cheshire. Joseph was mentioned in the Will of his father, John of Gorstage (1630-1688) dated March 19, 1687. He was mentioned in the Will of his brother, Samuel Pickering of Aston, Cheshire, dated June 13, 1711. He received Samuel Pickering’s “propriety of ye halfe estate I purchased from Thomas Mannering in great Buddeth Town”. He also received 1/3 part of Samuel Pickering’s personal estate. On the Will of Elizabeth Done of Cuddington, Weaverham parish, a widow, dated September 29, 1693 Bernard Pickering and Joseph Pickering were 2 of the 3 witnesses of the signing of the Will.
• BERNARD PICKERING | 1665-1737 | Bernard was mentioned in the Will of his father, John of Gorstage (1630-1688) dated March 19, 1687. On the will of Elizabeth Done of Cuddington, Weaverham parish, a widow, dated 29 Sept 1693, Bernard Pickering and Joseph Pickering were two of the three witnesses of the signing of the Will and their signatures are on the Will. Bernard Pickering of Cuddington was buried February 21, 1737 at St. Mary church, Weaverham. From Cheshire Marriage Bonds & Licences, there is a entry for August 22, 1710, Bernard Pickering of the parish of Whitegate, Yeoman and Sarah Nixon of Over, widow … to be married at Whitegate or Over … Samuel Pickering of Runcorn, Yeoman and John Doe were bondsmen for them.
Bernard Pickering was mentioned in the Will of his brother, Samuel Pickering of Aston, Cheshire, dated June 13, 1711. Bernard received 1/3 part of Samuel Pickering’s Personal Estate. On July 26, 1728, an Inventory of the Goods and Chattels of William Blackamore, yeoman Late of Crowton in the parish of Weaverham, was done and the Appraisors were Bernard Pickering, Wm Pickering, and John Bassnett. Their signatures are on the document.
CHESTER WILLS INDEX 1588-1846 for PICKERING
|1815||John||Corn Dealer||Frodsham, Beach|
|1790||John||Yeoman||The Elder Norley|
• THOMAS PICKERING | 1685-1690 | St. Marys Church, Weaverham | Thoma Pickeringe de Over, burial October 15, 1690. Thomas was not mentioned in the Will of his brother, Samuel Pickering of Aston, Cheshire dated June 13, 1711, but was mentioned in his father, John Pickering’s Will dated March 19, 1687. From the Cheshire Marriage Act Book there is an entry of interest, “Dec. Quinto 1685 Thomas Pickering de Waverham et Elizam Barker de Over vid.”
• SAMUEL PICKERING | 1687-1698 | Samuel was mentioned in his father, John Pickering’s Will dated March 19, 1687. On the Will of Thomas Breck of Runcorn, Samuel Pickering was one of the witnesses of the signing and his signature is on the document. Samuel also participated in the Inventory of Thomas Breck’s goods and chattels, which was done on 15 Sept 1687.
• WILLIAM BLACKAMORE, yeoman | 1728 July 26 — Inventory of goods and Chattels | Late of Crowton in the parish of Weaverham, was done and the appraisers were Bernard Pickering, William Pickering, and John Bassnett. Signatures are on the document.